It’s also important that created APFS volume size is equal or bigger than the source system volume. You can now take a snapshot from command line by typing "sudo tmutil snapshot" in the Terminal. This command will create a new snapshot and tag it with the current date and time. tmutil snapshot APFS local snapshots are generally a pain for me, especially on some of my systems with small internal drives. tmutil snapshot … All of my systems have Time Machine backups and the hourly backups it performs are more than sufficient for my needs. The tmutil command line tool on macOS High Sierra includes a thinlocalsnapshots function, which has the options shown below: 1. tmutil thinlocalsnapshots mount_point [purge_amount] [urgency] Purge amounts are represented as bytes, so specifying 20 gigabytes of space would be represented by the number below: 21474836480. APFS now support snapshots, a feature users of Virtual Machines love and can barely live without! To list the new snapshot along with all other existing snapshots, tmutil’s listlocalsnapshots command will show all available snapshots stored on an APFS volume using a command similar to the one shown below. You will then be able to browse it and restore individual files using either Time Machine GUI or the "tmutil restore" command in Terminal. When you configure CCC to make regular snapshots of your APFS-formatted volumes, you … Enter the Manually Create APFS Snapshots Launch Terminal, located in Applications > Utilities. Creating APFS Snapshots Start the Terminal application from /Applications/Utilities/ to open a command prompt window. tmutil listlocalsnapshots volume_name Using Disk Utility app create an APFS volume on your external disk. The Terminal window that opens contains the command prompt, which... To create an APFS snapshot, copy and paste the following command into Terminal at the command prompt: Make sure that your external disk use GUID partition scheme. Once the snapshot is taken, each file within that snapshot will be available on the snapshot in its exact state at the moment that the snapshot was taken, even if you delete the file. Let's name the external disk volume as BackupClone. You will get a confirmation message indicating that the snapshot is created at a specific date and time. command to create the snapshot.