FEBRUARY 2018 PROFESSIONAL CAREER DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP
As the expression goes ‘if you find your dream job you will never work a day in your life’. This is something many strive for, but few achieve. That said, we are living in a time when there is more focus on such topics as job satisfaction, fulfillment and finding a role that is more in line with your core values. This is a trend that is set to continue, and it will bring benefits to both employees and employers alike.
Key takeaways from for our February Professional Career Development Workshop;
- The usefulness of focusing on concrete, tractable questions when trying to make career decisions.
- That career capital is really important: many attendees had previously neglected career capital altogether, or they assumed that they would stay in the same job or sector in which they started in.
- That it is easy to slip into the attitude of trying to find the one right answer to what career you should pursue, rather than coming up with next steps, and developing a flexible plan.
- One cause that most people hadn’t considered before is global prioritization.
- The importance of transferable skills: for some people it hadn’t previously sunk in that they should consider these more explicitly when choosing between options and some decided to intentionally improve specific transferable skills.
A highlight for us was one of our workshop participants – Catherine getting a job offer, one month after the workshop
“Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: They try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so that they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then, do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.”
~ Margaret Young ~
Take a chance and join us for this fun and experiential workshop that helps you explore and design your desired career and subsequently, the life you dream of leading!